San Diego for 11 days




Sunday, March 2, 2014
I woke up feeling less well than yesterday.








This is not allergies. It must be a cold. Ken thinks we should stay in a hotel for a few days and I agree. It is cloudy, damp, cool and slightly rainy. We are still not totally in sync with our clothing and the weather change.

We go and look at hotels. Both that we look at are great but not really what we want. We checkout the Best Western on Broadway in Chula Vista. It is perfect for us and includes breakfast, too. I rest for most of the day. This involves watching a bit of TV and Netflix - second season of House of Cards. Got to get over this cold and not let it get worse.

We had a type of pizza for breakfast at Subway - delicious and piled high with veggies. At supper time Ken goes to Project Pie and purchased our supper, also pizza.







Monday, March 3, 2014

Glad to wake up indoors instead of camping. Do not get me wrong, I love camping, just not when I am sick. I am still sick with this miserable head cold.

We got up and about, eating breakfast at the hotel. Yummy waffles made by chef Ken. I drank lots of orange juice for the vitamin C but in reality likely had way too much sugar. We shopped a little bit close by. It helped me have a reason to be out and about. I needed a nap later on.

At supper we went to a Mexican restaurant a few blocks away. I had tortilla. Wow, was it good! I never did have any this trip when in Mexico.

I did walk a few blocks today. I feel the walking will assist me body to feel better not worse. Laying around too much is not really that healthy in my humble opinion.



Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I woke up feeling a bit better from my cold but not cured. My head feels less foggy but I am not myself. We ate breakfast at the hotel - breakfast being a supposed freebie.

So as to not totally die of boredom Ken and I sorted through our saved Mexican receipts or bills from groceries, restaurants, lodging, etc. We log them into a written record. It assists with general knowledge of how much our trip cost us. Plus it helps us at tax time. It is a rather dreaded task. Being sick and bored, the perfect time to do this.

We went out to a couple of thrift stores, another sure fire boredom breaker. I, however, overdid it. Once back at the car got a ticklish throat and lungs. That made me cough excessively. Ken read his book (I do not know how with all the coughing I was doing). I watched TV until I fell asleep. I was feeling so awful I actually took cough medicine.















Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Walk on the beach today. Imperial Beach, nice to feel the sun.






















Thursday, March 6, 2014

We had our "lovely" hotel breakfast again. The new (September 2013) downtown library was our morning destination. Before heading out I phoned my Dad back in Saskatchewan, Canada using Skype. He sounded in good spirits considering the awful weather this winter has brought to the prairies. He said his car was again covered in snow.

The library is huge, new and interesting. There is underground parking. We looked up "hacienda style homes". Actually we found lots of books with pictures of the interiors. We did not find what we hoped to find. One thing I noticed that the books in this new library are not all new, many are quite old.

We drove to the area of SD called Hillcrest to the Wholefoods Market for lunch. We did some thrifting in this area and in the area called North Park. It was a way for me, with remnants of my cold, to walk around indoors.














Friday, March 7, 2014
Today we packed up and left our hotel. My cold is very close to being gone so we will try camping again. We have been spoiled staying in a hotel so it will be an adjustment.

We found a few garage sales to go to. Most were kind of junky - yeah I know - after all people are trying to sell their old junk at a garage sale. One garage sale had an eight year old Yorkshire Terrier. She was friendly, quiet and calm. After seeing her I really want a Yorkie.

While thrifting it up I bought next to new, originally expensive, black sandals and a few little clay plates. Ken found a Plantonics hand set accessory for his telephone headset. He could not believe his luck and had to purchase it for $5.00, new in the box.

In the evening we walked the Gaslamp District. It was a bit cool on our walk. We ate at our favourite Thai Restaurant in SD - Royal Thai - yummy!



Saturday, March 8, 2014

We ate breakfast in the sun at our campsite, #116. Then using the lovely, fast, modern San Diego freeway system we found ourselves quickly transported to the Italian District. We went to the Farmer's Market. There must have been more than six blocks, perpendicular to the ocean, of booths full of vendors. Vendors selling vegetables, prepared artisanal foods and arts and crafts. It was a wonderful event to attend in the bright sunshine.

I took a small piece of cloth into Dick Blick, an art supplies store, to try out Dewart Inktense pencils. I bought a waxless, gray pencil crayon, in other words a watercolour pencil to draw my images onto cloth.

We walked around in Balboa Park. While trying to find a parking spot we found a rummage sale. A huge, good one at that. I saw many wonderful dogs throughout the day. I must be pooch deprived as I even asked to pet some of them. One kind lady at Starbucks must have been able to sense my plight and let me hold her part Border Terrier while she went into get her coffee.

For supper we went and bought more sushi. We gook it back to Balboa Park and ate it watching the planes fly close to us but overhead.























Sunday, March 9, 2014

We decided to eat breakfast out at Subway - mistake. That is all I'll say. We quickly drove from Bonita to a church rummage sale - one man's junk... well, in this case it is definitely still junk. We then drove to a supposed multi-family yard sale - ugh - shut out! Then we decided that we'd wonder around San Diego Sate University Campus. I had not been there in awhile, it seemed very foreign to me. I almost could not relate to being an alumni ( 2001 graduate, MA in education). I loved the flowers blooming and the Spanish architecture.

We parked outside by the Zoo - quick parking is often better than searching for the best parking spot. I toured the Spanish Village - great artists and outside plants.  I especially enjoyed the studios of Madeline Nicholls - mixed media painting. After listening to her talk about her workshops we pursed seeing a "rainbow gum eucalyptus tree just outside the gate for the entrance into the Zoo.  I also enjoyed the work of fibre artist Peggy L. Cabellero.

Since we were in the area we drove to Normal Heights and around. Then off to Old Town. We wanted to go to Fred's Restaurant. Beautiful cactus in this area. Off we went for authentic Mexican food. We went to three different places before actually eating.

Why so many places you ask :

  1) best place about 3 or 4 sailing wait to get into it
  2) no bathrooms
  3) really meaty place, no veggie faire
  4) back to no bathrooms. They had great tacos.

We finished watching a Martin Scorsese(SP) film, "Hugo" on Netflix.



























































Monday, March 10, 2014

Yes, Starbucks was first on our agenda. We went out Rosecrans area, Liberty Station area.  We wanted to visit a museum that has a Frida Kahlo exhibit. For those of you who do not know, she is likely the most famous female, Mexican artist of all time. Our planning was for not as the museum was not open Monday. Off to the Goodwill on Rosecrans we went. I got a couple of wonderful pieces. They always have good items at this store.

Since our main plan was foiled we decided to go to the new, main library again. We thought we might be able to find information on homes with courtyards, hacienda style. We did find information but like I said earlier some of the books were really dated.

A good walk was in order after time spent in a library. We walked for lunch - Turkish food. After a bit more library we opted for more walk and parked near the Seaport Village. We did a round about walk from there to way passed the Conference Centre. We ate in the Gaslamp District at an old favourite that is in Canada - The Spaghetti Factory. We hoofed it back to the car cutting through a very posh hotel.































Tuesday, March 11, 2014

We went to Starbucks to get "ice", oh and also yummy coffee. We were off to the library to do more research, this time on a different topic. We need to or should I say, now I need to step it up reprographics wise regarding my art quilts. Ken researched cameras, I researched how to photograph quilts. I found articles on the internet then I would e-mail them to myself. Now I need to read, reflect and also gather materials like the special daylight bulbs.

It was quite cool almost cold today. We stuck close to the library, even eating close by. The Kabob Shop was where we ate lunch - Turkish food- very yummy. There was saffron rice, tabouli and grilled veggies.

We thrifted at one store on Home Street, I do believe a Goodwill. The things you find! Ken found a new food processor and yes, we bought it. We also found a mini 12 volt fridge for a vehicle. I was worried the fan would be too noisy and loud. Ken thought it might drain the battery. We did not purchase that item.














Wednesday, March 12, 2014
I started out not being able to get into my favourite shower room. What is the difference you say between shower rooms? My favourite gets morning sun first out of all between the rooms plus it has a removable shower head. By the way, it is quite chilly in the morning taking a shower while camping.

We drove to Liberty Station where the Frida Kahlo exhibit was being held. It is a retrospective of her life and art. Many of the works are copies (very good ones), furniture (copies) for her and Diego's home and her jewelry and clothing. We did see her original works at a special exhibit in 2007 at Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mexico City. Much of this recent exhibit was not in the previous one that we saw. She is about my favourite artist so to see this was very emotional for me. We were both very impressed.

After a deli lunch in Little Italy it was back to the Liberty Station area. I went to Vision Arts Museum. The volunteer working at the front desk was warm, friendly and informative. The exhibit was a variety of styles and made of a variety of fibers (mostly cotton cloth). The big unifying feature - exceptional art and techniques.

All that art exercised the senses and emotions but the body, not so much. We needed some movement. We walked for miles by the ocean from Seaport Village to beyond the Conference Center. We again ate at the Royal Thai - delicious coconut based soup - Tom Kaw.

It was quite cold out this particular evening.





















Thursday, March 13, 2014We left the San Diego area unfortunately today. We have been here almost two weeks so it did not seem as tragic as usual. We stopped just outside La Jolla to change into clothes for the drive. It had started to warm up considerably. We stopped south of Oceanside for lunch. Using Yelp we food a little neighborhood lunch spot in a small convenience store format. This place served California stipple Mexican food. This town, Carlsbad, had plenty of wonderful plants and flowers in the areas where we walked.

We drove and drove. Correction - Ken drove and drove. I sat and sat getting rather stiff and sore. I even got to nap for awhile. Poor Ken had a very sore shoulder. He thinks he got it from typing up a wonderful idea he had while sitting up in bed. It hurt all day through icing and though Advil taking.

While driving at night I put a bid in on a twin to my camera. I need a replacement. I was the successful bidder, yeah!

When we woke up it was quite cold. In the summer we find camp spots for their shade or coolness. Well, this one just outside of San Luis Obispo (SLO) was so cold attempting a shower seemed foolhardy. Once on our way we found a great little deli/coffee shop. They made fantastic breakfast burritos. We were going to split one but they made one too many and just gave it to us. Needless to say they got a tip for that one.

The hills outside SLO were green and rolling. They almost looked like they were from a painting they were so perfect. From hills, onward to fields upon fields of vegetables in various stages of growth.

We arrived in the silicon valley area in the bright sunshine. Our stops were Memory 10 and We Love Macs. No purchases. Ken wanted to tour the grounds of Google which appeared even bigger than some university grounds. Ken said I was taken with the whole complex more than he was.

In the evening we went to a vegan Chinese restaurant. It had dishes like bee and broccoli or almond chicken but the protein or chicken was veggie based not animal based. We drove back to Saratoga in the dark. We again stayed at Saratoga Springs RV Park. Another campground that is fine in the summer, nice and shaded and cool. This time of year that is not what you want and it is way too cool.















No comments: